DAPIS: “Designing appropriate agronomic and processing practices for pineapple supply chains in Benin (DAPIS)”
Funded by: science division within the Netherlands Organizations for Scientific Research (NOW)/(WOTRO) through the Applied Research Funds (ARF),
Duration: 36 months (October 2015 – September 2018 with extension until September 2019).
Cost: € 272644
Aim: Pineapple producers, fresh pineapple exporters, traders and processors in chains to local, regional and international markets are facing problems in selling their fresh pineapple or derived products. The current project aims at improving the quality of fresh pineapple and pasteurised pineapple juice for local, regional and international markets. The project will combine crop sciences and food sciences to (i) determine appropriate agronomic practices yielding fresh fruits meeting markets requirements and (ii) determine appropriate processing technologies delivering stable pasteurised pineapple juice for local and regional markets.
Objective: General objective is to better access of fresh pineapple and pasteurised pineapple juice produced in Benin to local, regional and international markets.
Specific objectives are:
- Fresh pineapple quality attributes and criteria for pineapple producers, wholesalers, retailers and processors in local, regional and international markets defined.
- Pineapple agronomic practices that meet local, regional and international markets established.
- Pineapple juice processing technologies that meet the local and regional market demand established.
- Appropriate (low cost) pineapple agronomic and processing practices that meet local, regional and international markets determined.
- Appropriate pineapple agronomic and processing practices for local, regional and international markets disseminated.
- Better knowledge of stakeholders on pineapple quality attributes for local regional and international markets
- Uptake by producers of the agronomic practices meeting fresh pineapple and pasteurised pineapple juice demands for local regional and international markets
- Increased satisfaction of pineapple juice consumers
Group Magnificat (GM) ‘’Allotcheou’’ Fruit beverage company (Benin)
Table Filière Ananas (TFA), Pineapple Stakeholders Platform
University of Abomey-Calavi, Faculty of Agronomic Sciences (Benin)
For more information, click here